In 1898 a building permit was issued to Louis Kamper to construct a new house for clothing manufacturer Marvin Stanton. Soon after Stanton’s house was completed, and next door to it, Kamper produced a fantastic assemblage of towers, turrets, crenelations, and roofs now known popularly as “The Castle.” Then, in 1914, daughters of Joseph Berry petitioned City Council to develop a subdivision of high-quality single-family houses. Covenants called for houses of at least two stories in height and built of brick or stone, with setbacks and side yard spaces. Building began in 1916; the majority of houses date from the 1920s.
The seven houses on Dwight are of special interest. In 1927 General Charles W. Harrah built a mansion on the river that was later owned by Alex Manoogian. Now known as the Manoogian Mansion, the Harrah house is the official residence of the mayor of Detroit.
Boundaries: East Jefferson, Parkview, Dwight, and Fiske